The ceremony begins at about 7 o'clock. Members should wear a formal dress: officials wear their uniform with hats and shoes, holding official tablets. Other members and participants wear robes and hats.
Main event of the ceremony is like below:
The ceremony begins with bows of officials. Choheongwan(an official) burns incenses 3 times for the memorial tablet.
- A guide guides Choheongwan to offer a drink and Chukgwan(an official) reads a written ritual prayer.
- A guide guides Aheongwan(an official) to offer a drink.
- A guide guides Jongheongwan(an official) to offer a drink for the main tablet. Bunheongwan(an official) burns an incense and offer a drink for the sub tablet.
- Chukgwan leads Choheongwan to taste the foods from the ceremony table.
- This ceremony is burying the written ritual prayer. After Chukgwan buries the ritual prayer, a guide announces that Hyangsarye is over. After officials leave according to the guide, Chukgwan and members bow and leave. Finally, guides bow and the main event of the ceremony is over.
- Eumbok Gaejwa(tasting foods from the ceremony table)
- After Hyangsarye, members taste foods from the ceremony table in Ipgyodang(a hall). Also, they discuss whether the ceremony is held right in accordance to the traditional ways. Since the discussion is over, members for next Hyangsa are announced and Eumbok Gaejwa is over.
- Cheonmang is the process for electing members for next Hyangsa. Byeongsan Seowon opens a committee for it 10 days before Hyangsa and announces the list after the discussion during Eumbok Gaejwa.