At first, this Seowon(a local private school) was located in Pungsan-hyeon, with the name of "Pungak Seodang" for teaching local Confucianists since Goryeo Age. In 1572(5th year of Seonjo) Master Seoae Ryu Seongryong moved it to the present location.
In 1607, Seoae died and local Confucianists like Jeong Gyeongse enshrined a memorial tablet for Seoae and dedicated Jondeoksa(a memorial shrine for Seoae) for the memorial of studies and morality of Seoae in 1613(5th year of Gwanghaegun). The name was changed to "Byeongsan Seowon" in 1614.
In 1620(12th year of Gwanghaegun), most of Confucianists insisted that the memorial tablet should be enshrined in Yeogang Seowon, a memorial Seowon for Master Twegye and they moved and enshrined there. Since then, another memorial tablet was made and enshrined in Jondeoksa in 1629(9th year of Injo). Also, Suam Ryu Jin, the third son of Seoae, was enshrined. In 1863(14th year of Cheoljong) King bestowed a name plate for Seowon and promoted to Seowon.
As a leading local school for the memorial of masters and education, many scholars studied here. Even in 1868(5th year of Gojong) this Seowon was protected despite the order of closing Confucian schools made by Daewongun. Under the Japanese Imperialism, a major repair and rebuilding was done, rebuilding a hall in 1921 and a shrine in 1937. On every Jungjeong(a lunar calendar day in the mid-week of a month) of March and September, Seowon holds Hyangsarye, a memorial ceremony.
On March 31, 1978, Seowon was declared a historical monument. Presently, Seowon is located in Byeongsan-dong, Pungcheon-myeon, Andong-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do.